I won't repost the entire article here, but here's a link, and a quick summary. My five recommendations were:
- The Abnett and Lanning run on Guardians of the Galaxy, recently collected into two hefty, and very fun volumes,
- Batman: Death of the Family, a recent arc written by Scott Snyder, who just might be the best Batman writer of his generation,
- Thor: God of Thunder (volumes 1 and 2), in which he battles Gorr the God Butcher in possibly the best Thor story arc of its generation as well,
- The New 52 Wonder Woman series written by Brian Azzarello, who really takes a classic character on a very different journey, and
- Matt Fraction and Daniel Aja's Hawkeye series, specifically "My Life as a Weapon," which isn't exactly standard superhero storytelling but easily some of the most progressive, dynamic, and outright hilarious storytelling in comics these days.
For more on why I picked these five, swing on by to check out the article! There are pictures. Can't write an article about comics without pictures.